Nuttall Middle School Guidance
Welcome and News from NMS Guidance Office
Middle school is an exciting time for our 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. While adolescence is exciting and challenging, it can also be confusing.
Fortunately, NMS faculty and staff members are well trained and highly skilled in working with middle school age children. We recognize that this is time that the middle schooler wants the excitement of more freedom and also wants the comfort of predictability.
Here are some questions that the Guidance Department is frequently asked:
What is a school counselor?
The school counselor has a Masters Degree in Education. They have received special training and work as a liason between teachers, parents, and students.
What does a school counselor do?
- Listen and talk to students on an individual basis, in groups, or as a class.
- Help identify students with special needs
- Help register students and helps make new students feel comfortable at NMS
- Communicates with parents about their child
- Update teachers, students, parents about state and local testing
- Help students with the maturation process
How do I get to talk to the school counselor?
- Teacher referral
- Parent referral
- Self-referral, schedule an appointment
Phone: (618) 544-8618