Next to South Side Elementary School, the present Lincoln Grade School was built in 1936 to help house the increased number of city children. In 1952, Community Unit School District #2 was organized and consolidated as a Unit. Elementary buildings were added in the villages of New Hebron and Porterville to join the already existing Flat Rock as outlying grade schools. Most of the country and one-room schools closed as these facilities took in their students.
In the 1970's and 1980's the three outlying grade schools in New Hebron, Porterville, and Flat Rock closed. Lincoln was converted from K-5 to 4-5. Washington Elementary became a K-3 facility instead of being K-5. As enrollments increased and preschool programs added, additional classrooms were needed at the elementary level. For a short time, trailers were used to house extra students. It was not an ideal situation. Finally, in 1999 a new wing was added to Lincoln Grade School and third grade was transferred to Lincoln to make room for the preschool students at Washington.
1935 Lincoln Grade School Cost: $125,000
1885 South Side Elementary School Cost: $60,000