What is fluency?
Fluency is the ability to read text aloud at a rate of normal speech with accuracy and proper expression.
To support fluency at home:
- Read aloud often, encouraging your child to read aloud
- Let your child choose books to read and reread favorite books
- Model reading for fun and pleasure
- Act out a book or story
- Read aloud a sentence and then invite your child to read the same sentence (i.e. echo reading)
- Help your child read new words and talk about the meaning
- Talk with your child when he or she goes to the library about how to pick out books of interest at an appropriate reading level
What is text comprehension?
Comprehension is the ability to understand what is read and to communicate it to others.
To support text comprehension at home:
- Ask your child to predict what might happen next in the story
- Ask who, what, where, when, and why questions about the book
- Ask your child questions about the topic of a book before reading it
- Ask your child about books being read at school and be familiar with them in order to extend conversations
- Ask your child what the main idea or message of a book might be
What is vocabulary?
Vocabulary is the sum of words used by, understood by, or at the command of a particular person or group.
To support the development of vocabulary at home:
- Read aloud a variety of story types
- Talk with your child about daily events and about books you read together
- Talk about how the illustrations and text in a book support each other
- Use words provided on word lists by your child's teacher in natural conversation
- Search for new words in texts with your child and look them up in a dictionary
- Help your child learn new vocabulary based on hobbies and interests
What is phonics?
Phonics is the study of sound-letter relationships in reading and spelling, and the use of this knowledge in recognizing and pronouncing words .
To support phonics at home:
- Encourage your child to point to words and say them aloud when writing
- Listen to your child read
- Help your child sort words by long- and short- vowel sounds
- Help your child define larger words by breaking them into smaller chunks
- Play spelling and word games like Scrabble and Hang Man